Unit and Grading System


There is no auditing during Summer Sessions. All students are required to register and pay fees for any course(s) they wish to attend.

Repeating Courses

Schedule Builder will prevent undergraduates from enrolling in courses considered an illegal repeat. An undergraduate may repeat only those courses in which a grade of D, F, Not Passed or Incomplete (under certain situations) was received. Courses in which students received a grade of D or F may not be repeated on a P/NP basis; courses in which a grade of NP was received may be repeated on a P/NP basis or letter graded basis. Sometimes only one illegal repeat error is displayed, it is possible that multiple course repeat limitations may exist for a single course. Please review the information for the specific illegal repeat error on the Office of the University Registrar's Illegal Repeats webpage, as you may be eligible to enroll after you have resolved a pending grade or obtain appropriate approval.

Incomplete Grades

According to Academic Senate Regulations, the grade of Incomplete ('I') may be assigned when a student’s work is of passing quality and represents a significant portion of the requirements for a final grade, but is incomplete for a good cause as determined by the instructor; good cause may include current illness, serious personal problems, an accident, a recent death in the immediate family, a large and necessary increase in working hours or other situations of equal gravity.

More in depth information regarding incomplete grades such as repeating the course and removing the grading, is provided on the Office of the University Registrar's Incomplete Grades webpage.


Transcripts can be ordered online, in person, or through the mail. You may order an official transcript from the Office of the University Registrar.

Type Transcript Fee
Undergraduate/Graduate Academic Students $0.00
Non-Degree seeking students and those in Self-supporting and Professional degree programs $15.00 per transcript
Standard First Class Mail Included

Attendance, Credit, Final Exams

If you know that you will be absent from the first class meeting of a course in which you are enrolled, you are responsible for notifying the instructor of your intended absence before the first day of instruction. If you do not, you may be required by the instructor to drop the course from your schedule.

Academic requirements during Summer Sessions are the same as in other terms. Since courses are given in six weeks rather than the usual 10-week quarter, students should plan for a concentrated schedule. Those who hope to work at the same time they attend Summer Sessions should be especially aware of this.

Students are expected to attend classes regularly and to complete, by the end of the session, all work and examinations for the course(s) taken. Final examinations are generally held during the last regular meeting of each course; however, this varies from course to course and instructor to instructor. Contact the department directly if you have any questions regarding final examinations during Summer Sessions.

Acceptance of a particular course toward any degree in the University is subject to the approval of the authorities of the college or school in which the degree is offered. Two Summer Sessions are generally accepted as the equivalent of one quarter of residence for a bachelor’s degree.

Students from other colleges and universities should ascertain from their own institutions whether courses taken in the Summer Sessions at UC Davis will fulfill specific requirements at the institutions where they are registered. You can do so by contacting an academic advisor at your home institution.

P/NP and Variable Units

You may choose to take a letter-graded course on a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis by selecting the P/NP or S/U grading option for the course on myucdavis Schedule Builder. The last date to file for P/NP grading is listed in the Summer Sessions calendar. After that date the P/NP grading option is no longer available on Schedule Builder and continuing UC Davis students must obtain permission to take a course P/NP from the dean of their college. Non-continuing UC Davis students must obtain permission from the College Dean's Office offering the course.

Variable Unit Change

You may modify the number of units you are enrolled in for a variable-unit course by the date listed in the Summer Sessions calendar.  First, obtain permission to modify the number of units for a variable-unit course from the instructor; then use Schedule Builder to change the unit value.